This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 2 badge in Gardening.
Many gardens have soil that is unbalanced in nutrient content, with too much of some things and not enough of others. Fruit and vegetable crops take different amounts of different nutrients from the soil, which have to be replaced. A soil test (see Level 1 – Investigate and document your soil) or observation of indicator plants can give you a good idea of what may be missing from your specific soil.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Use a soil test, indicator plants, and/or other local information to identify nutrients at low levels in your soil
- Research which amendments would be appropriate to replenish the nutrients
- Source amendments, preferably local, definitely organic
- Apply the amendments to your soil in appropriate amounts
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- List of low-level nutrients, and information that led to that conclusion
- List of possible amendments
- List of locally-sourced and other amendments you will use
- Photos of growing area(s) with amendments applied
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.