This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 1 badge in Gardening.
All gardeners can and should compost, even if all your growing is done on a balcony. There are many different ways to compost, at least one will fit your circumstances. Methods include:
- Bokashi (can be indoors)
- Worm bin (can be indoors)
- Tumbler barrel
- Plastic bin
- Garbage can with ventilation holes added
- Pallet bin
- Wire enclosure
- Concrete block enclosure
- Wood enclosure/bin (commercial kits are available)
- Heap (non-enclosed)
- “Green Cone”
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Research the different ways to make compost, and choose one that seems suitable for you.
- Set up your composting system
- Use the system consistently for long enough to get finished compost out of it
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- Photo of your bought system or DIY materials to set up a system
- Photo of raw compost materials being added to part-filled system
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.