This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 1 badge in Gardening.
If your garden depends entirely on purchased seeds, it can never be sustainable. Basic seed saving is easy and saves you money!
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Choose one of these easy crops to save seeds from: tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas
- Grow several plants of the same non-hybrid variety of your chosen crop, and allow them to mature to the point needed for seed-saving
- Save the seeds, and store them under conditions that allow them to have a long life
- Germinate a sample of your saved seeds, to show that they are viable
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- Photo of your seed plants growing, labeled with the variety name
- Photo of the mature plants ready to save seed
- Photo of the dry, labeled seeds in appropriate storage conditions
- Photo of germinated sample showing germination better than 70% (i.e. more than 7 out of 10 seeds germinated).
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.