This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 1 badge in Gardening.
Perennial food crops have a huge advantage over annuals: you only have to prepare the ground and plant them once. After that they require less care over the season than most annuals, and give larger crops every year as they grow. Most perennials will not give a crop in the first year, so this BB does not require a harvest.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Research the possible perennial food crops for your area, and their required growing conditions
- Choose at least one perennial food crop that will grow well in your conditions
- Source seeds or plants, ideally locally.
- Prepare the ground appropriately, and plant your plants
- Nurture your plants as needed.
- Successfully overwinter your plants
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- List of possible perennial food plants that you researched, and reasons for your choice.
- Photo of seeds or plants, and area where they will be planted.
- Photo of young plant(s) growing
- Photo of mature plant(s) at the end of the season
- Photo of winter protection, if needed
- Photo of plant(s) re-sprouting leaves the following spring
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.