This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 1 badge in Gardening.
Pollinator insects (including honeybees, native bees, and many other insects) are crucial to fertilization and growth of many crops. They are under threat from habitat destruction and the use of insecticides. Gardeners can help them by planting specifically to support them.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Choose at least two from this list of common pollinator-support flowers:
- Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
- Anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum)
- Thyme (any type)
- Rosemary (any type)
- Oregano (any type)
- Bee Balm (Monarda didyma)
- Catmint (Nepeta x faassenii)
- Hardy Fuchsia (Fuchsia magellanica)
Plant them close together to provide an “island” of pollinator supports
- Observe visiting insects, and identify at least two
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- List of your pollinator supports, with the growing conditions they need
- Photo of them being planted
- Photos of the plants flowering, showing visiting insects
- List of insects that visited.
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.