This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 1 badge in Making Meals.
Making our lives and our communities more sustainable requires us to move away from a global, industrial food system to a more local, seasonal and ethical one. This BB supports you in finding out how to do that in your location.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Research local food sources in your area. Your local farmers group, newspaper, tourism info office, food coop, and gardening groups may be good places to start. “Local” to you may mean within 100 mile radius, or less, or more.
- Research what foods are seasonally available in your location, when, and where from.
- Research sources of ethical foods available to you, including organic, naturally grown, SPCA certified, fair trade, pastured meat, etc.
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- List of local food sources and what they supply
- List of seasonal foods and when they are available, and where from
- List of locally available ethical foods
Make a comment on this page and include the lists (or photos of the lists) in the comment.