This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 2 badge in Gardening.
If your garden depends entirely on purchased seeds, it can never be sustainable. Basic seed saving is easy and saves you money!
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Choose three from these crops to save seeds from: tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas, onions, leeks, tomatillos, parsnips, parsley, cilantro, dill, fennel, beets, chard. Do not include a crop if you saved seed from it for a Level 1 BB.
- Research seed saving requirements for your chosen crops. Pay special attention to isolation, overwintering, number of plants, and space requirements.
- Grow enough plants of the same non-hybrid variety of each of your chosen crops, and allow them to mature to the point needed for seed-saving
- Save the seeds, and store them under conditions that allow them to have a long life
- Germinate a sample of each of your saved seeds, to show that they are viable
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- List of crops you will save seed for, with seed-saving requirements and information source.
- Photos of your seed plants growing, labeled with the variety name
- Photo of the mature plants ready to save seed
- Photo of the dry, labeled seeds in appropriate storage conditions
- Photo of germinated sample showing germination better than 70% (i.e. more than 7 out of 10 seeds germinated).
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.