This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 2 badge in Gardening.
Many warm-season vegetables do not grow fast enough in our climate to give a crop in the time available. For this and other reasons, transplants or seedlings are used to reduce the time needed to get a crop. Growing your own transplants is cheaper, gives you a much wider choice of varieties, and allows you to grow them organically. Also, you get to play in the dirt when it’s still too cold outside!
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Grow your own transplants (you will need to start with more than 12 to end up with at least a dozen plants to harvest from!). You may grow indoors under lights or on a windowsill, or outside under protection. You may grow more than one type of vegetable.
- Plant out your transplants at the appropriate time of year
- Harvest a crop from at least 12 plants by the end of the season
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- Photos of your seed-starting setup with transplants growing
- Photos of your transplants planted out into your growing area(s)
- Photos of at least 12 mature plants ready to harvest
- Photos of the harvested crops
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.