This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 2 badge in Gardening.
With our long, cool spring and fall seasons, it can be hard to get heat-loving crops to start early enough or mature properly at the end of the season. Season extension structures like cold frames and greenhouses can help with this, as well as allowing us to grow cold-loving crops right through the winter.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Research potential season-extension structures, and choose a type and design that will work for your conditions
- Build the structure, preferably making use of as much salvaged or re-used material as possible
- Use the structure for at least one of: extend the season in spring or fall, or protect cold-loving crops over the winter.
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- Photos or sketches of your structure design
- Photos of tools and materials ready to build the structure, including some salvaged or re-used materials
- Photos of the structure under construction
- Photos of the structure in use to protect plants
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.