This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 1 badge in Gardening.
“Chop & Drop” mulching and/or cover cropping builds and protects soil, discourages weeds and feeds plants and soil creatures. Chop & Drop refers to growing plants specifically to cut down the foliage during the growing season to use as mulch.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Research possible cover crops or chop & drop mulch plants for your conditions, and pick at least one to grow.
- Source seeds or plants, and plant them
- Cut down your chop & drop plants’ foliage at least once during the growing season, and use it to mulch the soil.
- If you are growing a cover crop, cut it down or turn it into the soil at the appropriate time for the crop.
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- List of possible mulch/cover plants that you researched, and reasons for your choice
- Photo of seeds or plants in the location they are being planted
- Photo of the mulch/cover crop growing
- For chop & drop: photo of the chopped back foliage spread on the soil
- For cover crop: photo of the cover crop when it’s been cut down or turned into the soil
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.