This is a badge bit (BB) that is part of the Level 1 badge in Gardening.
Many fruits are perennials rather than annuals, so this BB may take longer to accomplish. However, if you already have perennial fruits established in your garden, you may use those. Fruits which crop in the first year include sunberries, ground cherries, melons and some strawberries. Crops which are biologically fruits but used as vegetables, like tomatoes and peppers, are not included in this BB.
To complete this BB, the minimum requirements are:
- Research your favorite fruits, and decide what to grow.
- If you are starting from scratch: plant your fruit
- Maintain your new or existing fruiting plants through the year(s)
- Harvest at least 1 cup berries, 2 melons, 1l small tree fruit (eg apricots, crabapples) or 2l large tree fruit (eg apples, pears, peaches.)
To document your completion of the BB, provide the following:
- Photos of your new fruit plants and their growing area, plus photos of the fruit plants once they have been planted
- OR photos of your existing perennial fruit plants
- Photos of maintenance being carried out on existing fruit trees and bushes eg pruning, spraying (organic only), insect barriers, netting, electric fencing
- Photos of fruit being harvested
- Photos of fruit showing amount
Make a comment on this page and include the photos in the comment.